Saturday, July 28, 2012

4 Corners

Pat Etcheberry demonstrating the
4 Corners warm-up
I found this warm-up at a site featuring tennis fitness expert Pat Etcheberry. Four cones are set up at the corners of an imaginary box with the player standing in the middle. The cones should be far enough apart that the player must shuffle step 3-4 steps from the center to reach the cones. On the coach's command the player moves to each cone, then back to the center. The goal is to move quickly, staying low with good balance and eyes facing forward.

The only tweak I have on this great warm-up is on directing the players to the cones. I usually have more than one player on court with me in a lesson (thank goodness!!) so if I had to direct each player individually as shown in the video I would have players waiting around. Not good! My tweak would be to have an agreed upon command for each corner, such as 1, 2, 3, 4, or A, B, C, D. Different colored cones/targets would be great. Then, I could call out the commands and multiple kids could be doing the 4 Corners drill at the same time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment